Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The principal

What do you conjure up of a school principal? A highly experienced mentor? A no- nonsense persona? To the teachers, he's the boss and when he recommends or writes you off, it matters a lot.

I've never worked with a principal before. Until the year 2007 comes. Work has been fine. The principal is kind and friendly. It helps that I know his daughter personally. She is one of the best runners in Singapore.

My boss does give me many tasks to undertake. He wanted a new projector screen. He asked me to shift the book shelves. Once I had yet to complete a task he told me to do. He found out. I thought he was going to be mad at me. But no. He just said, "Oh, you haven't ah?" I thought that was a good virtue in a leader. It's patience. And understanding.

I don't always hear of nice comments about him. In fact, many felt that his style is that of an iron hand rule.

It is impossible to only fetch good reviews when you are a leader. Those whose ideals may actually be wrong will disagree. And you think they're correct to say you're wrong? Not at all. This is one of the challenges a leader have to face. He has to make the right decisions. Not popular decisions.

No comments: