Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Safe city

The other day I was buying dinner and something set me thinking. I realized that we live in a blessed country. I'm talking about how safe our streets are.

Not long ago a vicious robbery attack happened across the Causeway. It was horrendous. Not only was it a gruesome attack, it also came from nowhere. Without warning. Imagine thinking you are living just another day. You think it's going to be just as planned. And something unimaginable just struck.

I was seated facing the seafood stall. A man in a smart blue shirt came to the stall. I saw his fingers slide open his black wallet. Big purple notes. And a few shiny brown ones. I could see them in small stacks. If he was in JB, he'd be in trouble. The clothes he's wearing send a message. A prime target. He could just be overpowered by a few men and get robbed easily.

Fortunately it's Singapore. Many factors contribute to the great state of security in Singapore. The police is efficient, reliable and respectable. The community is civic- minded. And the poor gets adequate help from the government.

But I still do not know what prompted the vicious attack. It was not human.

No comments: