Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Swift Open 5000m 09


The line- up wasn't really much of a star- studded lot. But the main star was there, and he was on sub- 16 form. How many of us have gone below 16? How many below 17?


So the gun goes and like a flock dispersing, the runners make their way to 12 and a half. Mok sprinted front, a tactic unusual of him. I trailed closely behind and wanted to keep to my targetted splits.


First 200: 37 seconds- too fast. I felt it was quite usual except the heat and I was actually braving a slight flu.


A few laps turned and I was starting to feel the pressure. It was just too hot and my mental picture of the torture I was braving on the rubber track sort of called the game over. I probably couldn't do anything left to break the so- called 'barrier'. Dave and Sharon and Christian comprised the panel of moral support for us with their never- ending cheers and motivation but I still could not find a faster gear.


The third runner at that time was keeping his toes close to my heels like waiting to take on me at the right time. He got the right time and cut me with 3 laps to go. I couldn't summon the response. My body felt very weak. My mind was weaker. I was over and done and I even contemplated on dropping out.


But I felt not so much of a need to drop out with a couple of laps to go.


And I reached the finish with 45 seconds off my previous.


If it was the heat then we have to train for the heat. If it was the flu then adequate rest is needed. If it's the mental component then probably we gotta work on the mind aspect.

No comments: